If you’ve noticed, the pro direct response copywriters like Drayton Bird, Robert W. Bly, Herschel Gordon Lewis and Steve Slaunwhite, just to name a few, are all expert marketers.
When I was researching which titles to buy, I found that advertising, copywriting and marketing all went hand-in-hand. There simply was no avoiding copywriting + marketing, or advertising + copywriting.
After studying the first few books I got, it was logical that copywriting and marketing went hand-in-hand. And your client’s sales processes also play a huge part in working well with the people that your good ad brings in.
Imagine if you had a successful ad that brought people to your client, but those folks received poor service, due to some fault in your client’s sales and marketing processes.
The customers will tell their friends, and their bad experience with your client will spread like wildfire.
Your successful ad, through no fault of its own, just had an opposite effect on their business. It brought more people in to shop with your client, and more people received a bad experience, and therefore, more give a bad review.
But that happens only because their marketing and sales process wasn’t looked into first. Sometimes, what your client needs first isn’t copywriting, but a good look at their marketing.
This is why you find that most, if not all, direct response copywriters also provide marketing and consultant services. It all goes hand in hand to make your client’s business more successful.
You will find common titles listed here in other lists that you’ve Googled. These are the books that I’ve bought myself too, and quite a number of them are only mentioned in some of the books themselves. It took me quite a bit of time and research to go for titles which gave the most bang for your buck.
Without further ado… The list!
I’ve decided to list new and upcoming titles up here first, as of today, 26 September 2016:
- The Advertising Solution, by Craig Simpson and Brian Kurtz
- Sell With a Story, by Paul Smith
The main list, in no particular order:
- My Life in Advertising/Scientific Advertising, by Claude Hopkins
- How To Make Your Advertising Make Money, by John Caples
- Breakthrough Advertising, by Eugene M Schwartz
- Ogilvy on Advertising, by David Ogilvy
- Confessions of an Advertising Man, by David Ogilvy
- Commonsense Direct and Digital Marketing, by Drayton Bird
- How To Write Sales Letters That Sell, by Drayton Bird
- The Robert Collier Letter Book, by Robert Collier
- How To Write a Good Advertisement, by Vic Schwab
- Reality in Advertising, by Rosser Reeves
- The 100 Greatest Advertisements, by Julian L Watkins
- Write Everything Right!, by Denny Hatch
- Million Dollar Mailings, by Denny Hatch
- Secrets of a Freelance Writer, by Robert W. Bly (This link to Bob Bly is an affiliate one)
- The Copywriter’s Handbook, by Robert W. Bly
- The Marketing Plan Handbook, by Robert W. Bly
- On The Art of Writing Copy, by Herschel Gordon Lewis
- Marketing Mayhem, by Herschel Gordon Lewis
- The Ultimate Sales Letter, by Dan Kennedy
- No B.S. Direct Marketing, by Dan Kennedy
- Direct Marketing, by Ed Nash
- The Boron Letters, by Gary Halbert
- The Halbert Copywriting Method Part III, by Bond Halbert
- The Adweek Copywriting Handbook, by Joseph Sugarman
- Ca$hvertising: 100 Secrets of Ad-Agency Psychology, by Drew Whitman
- Write To Sell, by Andy Maslen
- 100 Great Copywriting Ideas, by Andy Maslen
- Persuasive Copywriting, by Andy Maslen
- How To Write Copy That Sells, by Ray Edwards
- 80/20 Sales and Marketing, by Perry Marshall
- Ultimate Guide to Google AdWords, by Perry Marshall
- Ultimate Guide to Facebook Advertising, by Perry Marshall
- Hey Whipple, Squeeze This, by Luke Sullivan and Edward Boches
- Words That Sell, by Bayan
- More Words That Sell, by Bayan
- Start and Run a Copywriting Business, by Steve Slaunwhite
- The Everything Guide to Writing Copy, by Steve Slaunwhite
- Getting Everything You Can Out of All You’ve Got, by Jay Abraham
- In For a Penny, by Peter Hargreaves
- The Economist Style Guide
- Writing That Works, by Roman and Raphaelson
- 1 Page Marketing Plan, by Allan Dib
- The Elements of Style, by Strunk
P.S. This list might grow over 45 titles as I discover titles that will be helpful to you. You can buy most of them off Amazon.